Florida has a different termite swarming season than most states, starting in October and can last through May, depending on the species! This can also vary depending on weather conditions. During the swarming season, termites emerge to mate and establish new colonies, which often include vulnerable residential properties. Termites can literally eat a home out from under you, often without you knowing until extreme damage has been done. Termites have the ability to chew through wood, flooring and even wallpaper undetected and can compromise the structural integrity of your home. In fact, termites cause $5 billion worth of property damage annually!
Fortunately, there are precautionary steps homeowners and business owners can take to help prevent termites from infesting the property. Keep reading for tips on how to prevent termites in your Florida home or business.
- Eliminate or reduce moisture in and around the home. Termites thrive on water.
- Repair leaking faucets, water pipes and AC units.
- Repair fascia, soffits and rotted roof shingles.
- Replace weather stripping and loose mortar around basement foundation and windows.
- Divert water away from the house through properly functioning downspouts, gutters and splash blocks.
- Routinely inspect the foundation of a home for signs of mud tubes (used by termites to reach a food source), uneven or bubbling paint and wood that sounds hollow when tapped.
- Monitor all exterior areas of wood, including windows, door frames and skirting boards for any noticeable changes.
- Maintain an 18-inch gap between soil and any wood portions of your home.
- Schedule a professional inspection annually. Wood-boring insect damage is not covered by homeowners insurance policies!
- Store wood at least 20 feet away from the house.
It is important to note, termites are extremely difficult to control with do-it-yourself measures! If you think you may have a termite infestation, contact a licensed pest professional immediately to determine the extent of the problem and receive a recommendation of an appropriate course of treatment.
Avoid structural damage from termites by partnering with our team of expert technicians at Brock Lawn and Pest Control who have over 50 years of experience with preventing and controlling termites in Florida. Whether you currently have a termite infestation or want to prevent one from occurring, we can help! With our specialized treatment techniques, you’ll be provided with both preventative and corrective termite treatments that will stop any infestation.
Make sure to get a head start with our extensive, year-round pest control services. As a locally owned and operated pest control company, we proudly serve Florida’s Gulf Coast and northern counties with offices in Panama City, Fort Walton and Panama City Beach.
Have a pest emergency? We provide same day services! Contact our team today.