Cockroaches are a lot like people – they want water, food and shelter and they will do anything to get it. While they are often joked about being the only creatures to survive an apocalypse, there are measures you can take to keep them out of your home or business. The key tip is to “starve them out”.
Here’s a few minor steps you can take to make a major difference in keeping cockroaches away!
- Clean up Spills Immediately. Roaches depend more on moisture than they do food, so cleaning up spilled liquid in hard to reach places (like under refrigerators) is very important.
- Repair Leaks. Repair any leaks under water heaters, sinks and washers to remove excess liquid.
- Clean Dishes ASAP. Do not leave unwashed dishes and utensils out overnight! This is like a buffet for cockroaches.
- Take Out the Trash. Empty the kitchen trash as often as possible so it doesn’t harbor food.
- Store Food Properly. Store dried food (such as dog food, flour, cereal, breadcrumbs and other wheat-based foods, etc.) in sealed hard plastic containers.
- Don’t Leave Dog Food Out. If your pup likes to leave leftovers, make sure to clean the dish out each day.
- Clean Cans and Bottles. Make sure to rinse cans and bottles before putting them in the recycling bin.
- Sweep or Vacuum Regularly. This is especially important around areas where people eat and may drop food on the floor.
- Get Rid of Standing Water. Don’t leave water standing in sinks or under potted plants.
- Clean Microwaves & Toasters. Clean crumbs from inside of the microwaves and toasters daily, if possible.
- Declutter! Don’t keep large stacks of cardboard boxes and newspapers, especially in dark, damp areas. This is where you will find cockroaches living.
If you’ve noticed an overwhelming amount of cockroaches around your home or business, call Brock Pest and Lawn Control right away! Our team provides professional, eco-friendly pest control services for homes and businesses. As colder weather closes in, you may start to notice more insects and other pests trying to use your space as their own. Make sure to get a head start with our extensive, year-round pest control services. As a locally owned and operated pest control company, we proudly serve Florida’s Gulf Coast and northern counties with offices in Panama City, Fort Walton and Panama City Beach.
Have a pest emergency? We provide same day services! Contact our team today.